10 Tips to Make Healthier Holiday Choices
Find out the top 10 tips to make healthier choices during this holiday season.
- Create your favorite holiday recipes using My Plate as a guide.
- You can enjoy all of the food groups at your holiday celebration. For example, you can include fresh fruit at the holiday dessert table.
- Ensure all your protein is lean.
- Try low-calorie drink options. Offer seltzer water with a hint of 100 percent fruit juice.
- Use recipes with unsweetened apple sauce or mashed ripe bananas instead of butter.
- For dessert, try baked apples with cinnamon instead of apple pie.
- Remember to enjoy family and friends; laugh, play games and interact.
- Make a physical activity a part of the holiday tradition; a family walk after the holiday meal.
- Use leftovers to create delicious new and healthy meals.
- Don’t forget to give to others. Donate food to a local food bank or volunteer your time serving others a meal during the holiday at your local shelter.